Grayson

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sarah

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Christmas...take two (clack)... : )


Let me set up our Christmas time frame...

We had Christmas early with our kids because we were traveling to my parents house in Tyler to spend Christmas day with them...so here we are...

Time Line...

Christmas Eve eve I wrapped the presents...
Christmas Eve morning the children opened presents...
Christmas Eve night we traveled to Tyler...
Christmas Day we spent with my family...

Christmas Eve eve...that night we told Sarah and Grayson "In the morning when you wake up you will get to open up your presents." At this point there were no gifts under their little 3 foot trees. So we sent them to bed and I proceeded to wrap each of their gifts with the greatest care. Sarah had princess paper for her gifts and Grayson had Mickey Mouse paper for his presents. I ran out of paper to wrap all their gifts so Bryan picked me up some generic red Christmas paper to finish wrapping the rest of the gifts which were like two more. After I finished wrapping the gifts I took pictures (those later). I wanted the before pictures.

12:00am Creak..our door opens and little Sarah walks in...immediately I thought oh no she has opened the presents...but she hadn't I got up and returned her to her room.

3:30am Creak...I said "come here..." To which the reply is " I got a dinosaur with a remote." (Grayson) At that moment we both flew out of the bed to find utter distruction in our living room.

Grayson had opened all of his presents plus the red wrapped ones. He knew the princess paper was not his so he didn't open Sarah's gifts. He only opened one of her gifts because it was wrapped in the red paper. But ladies you see, when I tell you that he opened his gifts he OPENED them...the paper was off and the boxes were ripped open. He got new games for Christmas and the game boxes were ripped open and the contents were spread out over the entire room. I was so upset...for two reasons one because I didn't get to see his face when he discovered that he got a dinosaur robot and two because he got up without coming to wake us up. I was so upset I cried...it broke my heart. We explained to Grayson that he had done wrong and hurt mommy and daddy's heart and sent him back to bed. My first instict was to take all his things away because I was mad that he had done that. But after considering and putting myself in his shoes. I am sure I wouldn't have been able to resist the temptation either. You see when Bryan and I went to bed that night all the recliners in the couch were down and the blankets were folded and when we discovered the distruction one recliner was out and a blanket was unfolded. So we speculate that Grayson got up and sat on the couch for a good while he probably sat and stared at the tree for a time before the utter temptation over took him and he couldn't resist not opening them anymore. So after he went back to bed, I calmed down, I decided that I was going to rewrap his presents so that we could see him open them in the morning. This time we told him that when he woke up he needed to come to Mommy and Daddy's bedroom before opening any presents. That was a small yet very important detail that we left out the first time he went to bed. Which could have solved the entire situation before it happened.

After they were rewrapped

Notice there is no Mickey Mouse paper!


4:30 am- I finally climb back into bed and hope and pray that the morning goes better.

One of the main dissapointments of the whole situation is that I took before pictures when I wrapped the presents the first time and after he destroyed the presents and then after I rewrapped them. In the middle of the night I thought I uploaded all the pictures to the computer but all of them didn't transfer before I reformatted the camera to be ready for the next morning. So I don't have before and after distruction pictures...after all I was half asleep when I was transfering them to the computer but I am still very upset that I lost them.

To be continued...

4 comments:

A day at the Beach said...

I am glad you saw it through his little eyes. I remember seeing my barbie house NOT because I got up late, but because i was peaking through key holes. Me and my brother were busted playing with his remote control car Christmas eve after a late night sneak peak. Honestly, me in my footed pj's and my brother in his long johns driving his new remote control car down the second floor stairs at 3a.m. is one of few fond memories I have with my brother. I see now though why my mom woke up. Those cars were LOUD back then! Another fond memory, my parents sleeping in the living room after that! I know because I was going back for seconds! LOL, I tell that story to my kids, AND SO DO MY MOM AND DAD! Its all memories!!

Jenn said...

Oh, Micheal, I know you were upset, but it is so funny to read later on..lol. I'm so sorry that it seemed to work out that way, but I guess sometimes we just have to say, "Oh, well..." and go on. I still haven't figured out why when I think I have things all figured out and in order that the order flies out the window..lol.

Thanks for sharing your Christmas. I know it was disappointing but you will look back and laugh later on.

MamaJ said...

Oh Michael! I am so sorry, but it is funny to read about now. I remember getting up and pretending to play my keyboard that I had gotten. I kept silently "playing songs" b/c I knew I couldn't turn it on! Finally I went back to bed! And one year, I peeked at a box in my Mom's closet to see my leather jacket, that was a hard smile to fake on Christmas morning!

Jenn said...

I know I have told you already, but I'm gonna say it again. I love you so much and I love that you are such a giver of yourself for others. You are an incredible encourager and I love you. Your smile each time I see you just lights up the room and it's always so wonderful to see you...

just wanted to let you know..